Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Eating from the Pantry Challenge: My Goals


Just like SpendLess2SaveMore, when I told my husband about the eat from the pantry challenge at MoneySavingMom and LifeAsMom he rolled his eyes and laughed at my excitement. 

As I set upon planning for this new challenge I decided that before I set some crazy goal for myself I had better make sure that it is realistic.  I calculated up my husband's Gatorade costs (he is a certified Gatoradeholic and there's no changing that-and yes he says there is a difference between Gatorade and cheap brand stuff) and my Carnation Instant Breakfast costs, milk, and bananas and added in some extra money to buy some other fresh fruits and veggies.  Currently I try to spend only about $30 per week on groceries*.  During the month of January I believe I can at least shave off $10 per week, so that I will only be spending $20 a week on groceries( $80 month)!  The extra $40 saved will go towards saving for a house. 

My freezer is full, my refrigerator is kind of full, and my pantry is full, so I have great faith that we'll be able to make it.  Come back next Monday to see the meals I have planned!

*Note: My husband and I go out to eat at least once a week and eat with family at least once a week-that leaves us only 4-5 meals at home.  My husband works outside in the cold during the winter, so in January he normally eats out for lunch just so that he can get warmed up again.  However, I always pack my lunch.  We have budgeted for these expenses in categories other than groceries.

**If perhaps, 93% lean ground beef goes on sale for less than $2.25/lb or boneless skinless chicken breast go on sale for $2/lb, I might go back to the original budget because we use tons and tons of that type of meat.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the challenge! I'm ready to dive in starting tomorrow... Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will not appear until the author has approved them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails