Monday, March 25, 2013

Menu Plan Monday: Farewell March!


I'm back because it is Menu Plan Monday.  I'm linking up with Organizing Junkie again this week.

Before I share my plan for the week I wanted to share something.  I remember when I first got married I barely knew how to cook anything.  I had helped my mom cook some when I was little, but pretty much from middle school on up I was so busy with school and other things that I really didn't help cook.  When I was in college I ate all kinds of random things, which earned me the nick name "garbage disposal."

Yet, I was able to learn how to cook some basic healthy easy meals because of the love and nonjudgement of my easy online cooks, so I just wanted to thank you all.  If you are like how I was I want to tell you that you can do it and not everyone has to be a master chef.  If you are a newbie like I was, whatever you do, do not go to the crazy gourmet food recipe blogs.  They will ruin you and make you feel your food is so tacky.  Honestly it was just this year (yes four years later) that I actually started to enjoy cooking.  What had been holding me back was inner judgement that what I was making wasn't that impressive.  Somehow this year I just realized, who cares what these "perfect chefs" think!  They aren't eating dinner with me, so who cares.  Now I post my three dinner menu plan with pride.  It works for us and that is what matters.  There's only two of us, so there's normally 3 homemade dinner nights, one leftover night, and three eat out nights with people we love(sometimes it is home cooked food with family, sometimes we eat out with them).

No matter what though, I believe menu planning is one of the best habits that newlyweds can start.  It takes so much stress out when you have a plan, even if that plan isn't gourmet.  At the beginning I did not always plan and when I didn't we just ended up arguing over the most stupid stuff.  Menu planning is great for your marriage, and it helps you keep your budget in check.  Organizing Junkie is great because there are so many people that link up that you can find people with your level of cooking skills and your tastes and get inspired. There are lots of "normal" cooks out there and they have some great recipes.

My plan for this week:

Dinner #1: Veggie, Sausage, Rice Casserole 
This is a staple and maybe this week I will post a pic and the recipe.  It is super easy and you can change it up to your tastes.  It also makes some really nice leftovers.

Dinner #2: Spaghetti
It is supposed to be really cold again this week, so I'm going to use up some of the extra sauce I made a few weeks back and froze.  Here is the link (click the photo) from What's Cookin America.

Dinner #3:  Cajun Tilapia

This was the only one that I could find that didn't say "Cajun seasoning."  I don't have Cajun seasoning, so it was nice that this recipe had you make your own.  Hopefully it is tasty!  The last tilapia that I made was alright, but Tilapia just doesn't really do it for me, which is probably why I never buy it.  It is just a bit too bland.  I still have 2 or 3 fillets left so this will be the perfect way to use them up, and maybe it will even be a winner of a recipe!



Don't forget to always search for coupons before going grocery shopping at coupons.com!

1 comment:

  1. Will definitely have to try the Cajun Tilapia. My hubby is not a seafood fan but he'll eat it. I think he would like it with this seasoning.

    Stopping by from Kitchen Korner Recipes. Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will not appear until the author has approved them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails