Saturday, May 15, 2010

Frugal Flop: New Market Coupon Policy Print-Out




New Markets are running their triple coupon sale this week.  I just went today and I was in a slight hurry.  Never plan on couponing in a hurry.  I quickly scanned through the store looking for items that would match up with coupons and get a better deal than Aldi's.  I only found a few items that were worth picking up because I believe they might have raised their prices even higher now that it is getting close to the start of "laker season" (lots of vacationers will be arriving to go to their lake homes).

I went through the checkout and noticed that the cashier was manually putting in every single coupon.  There were no "bonus coupons" popping up.  In fact on two occasions it said "bonus coupon suppressed".  I was a bit upset, but I tried to stay calm as I let the cashier know that it did not double or triple my coupons.  She says that "it will only double or triple $0.50 coupons."  That doesn't make sense.  Either it doubles at $0.50 or it triples, not both.  I repeat that I was sure that they double to $1 and triple to $0.50, so she then asks the other cashier who says that my cashier is correct.  Well, at that point I just decided that I just wasn't in the mood to be the "pushy customer", so I paid and left.

Now that I am home and can look through my receipt I can tell that none of my coupons doubled or tripled.  I also looked through my past emails and pulled up the email sent to me by the manager of the Syracuse store which states:

Syracuse Coupon Policy:


  •  Valid vendor coupons will double up to $.50, with a maximum value of $1.00. 
  • During the specified triple coupon period, valid vendor coupons will triple up to $.50, with a maximum value of $1.50. 
  • During the specified triple coupon period, valid vendor coupons with face value between $.51 and $1.00 will double, with a maximum value of $2.00. 
  • One additional vendor coupon may be used per item that meets the purchase requirements and has a valid date. These additional coupons will be redeemed at face value. 
  • In-store coupons and any vendor coupon that states “Not To Be Doubled” will be redeemed at face value. 
  • Vendor coupons for beer, wine, or tobacco products will be redeemed at face value. 
  • Catalina coupons may not be used until the next transaction. 
  • Catalina coupons will be redeemed for face value only. 
  • Catalina coupons may not be used with a vendor coupon or any other checkout coupon for the same item. 
  • We will gladly accept internet or computer generated coupons.
Therefore, I have now printed this policy and will carry it with me any time I go to that store.  I lost over $5 from not getting the doubles and triples today, and I am also trying to decide whether to go back and ask for a refund.  I am not sure whether that is worth my time though. 

Moral of the story: Have a printed copy of the store's coupon policy at all times.  It can save you lots of time, $$, and mainly stress from dealing with uncooperative cashiers.

Have you ever had difficulty at the register with double/triple coupons at grocery stores?  Tell us about it in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will not appear until the author has approved them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails