Tuesday, February 2, 2010

February Freezer Cooking


Here is the starting point of my fun February freezer cooking: a huge pile of groceries.  It was sooooooo exciting to go couponing again! 

I was able to make four different freezer casseroles, and by I, I mean we!  Yep, my wonderful husband helped me out and we actually had a blast!




This is a picture of the beginnings of my pie crust.  Can you believe it?  I made a pie crust.  This happened because I forgot to buy extra pie crusts.  I called my mom and asked for the absolute easiest pie crust recipe that she knew of and she sent me this.

Note:  This is only strong enough to be used as the "bottom" crust.
Pat-in-pan pie crust

1 1/2 cups plus 3 T flour
1 1/2 t sugar
1/2 t salt (I probably don't put this in)
1/2 cup veg. oil, canola etc.
3 T cold milk

Mix dry ingredients in the pie pan with your fingers until blended.
Mix oil and milk in a cup with a fork til creamy
Pour at once over flour mixture
Mix with fork til completely moistened
Pat dough with your fingers up the sides of the pie pan and across the bottom
Flute the edges.


Ta da!  There it is!  I'm not up to Julia's standards, but it came out wonderful as my first pie crust!

My husband helped make the filling for the chicken pot pies.  Go here for the recipe.  He did such a great job with the little direction I gave him.
 

I am definitely not a food photographer, but the filling was absolutely delicious.  Here's a picture of one of the final products (we already had one of the two pies for dinner!).

We also made a breakfast casserole (that we'll eat for dinner), and a sausage and mixed veggies casserole and even had some leftover chopped chicken that we used in sandwiches and wraps over the weekend.
There's the fruits of our 2 or so hours of work!

1 comment:

Comments are moderated and will not appear until the author has approved them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails