Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Goals for Growth and Change in 2013


Wow, it has been quite the year of changes!  We bought a house, my job changed (same place- added responsibilities), and we traveled overseas together with our youth group.  Each year I set goals for myself because I have found that if I am not intentional with my goals, absolutely nothing gets accomplished.  Here's a check up on last year's goals.

1. Memorize at least 12 verses.  I actually memorized 13 verses!  Although that is small compared to the whole Bible, it is 13 times more than I memorized in 2011.  The verses I memorized were Ephesians 2:10, Isaiah 41:10, Psalm 90:12, Proverbs 12:18, Hebrews 4:15-16, Matthew 11:28, Colossians 3:23, Ephesians 4:1-3, 1 Peter 5:7, and Proverbs 14:1.  Each one of those verses has spoken to me during various times this year and I am so glad that I took this on.  During one various emotional breakdown Isaiah 41:10 really spoke to me.  It was like God was there comforting me specifically.

2.  Read at least two "wife" books this year.  I ended up reading 365 Nights: A Memoir of Intimacy and Every Marriage Is a Fixer-Upper: A Do-It-Yourselfer's Guide to Bringing Out the Best in Your Relationship.  Each of these helped remind me that being less selfish actually turns things for the better.

3.Part a- Visit each grandparent once a month.  We did pretty good on this.  There were occasional misses, but in general we always made it to each.  This time with them has really blessed our marriage because it has kept things in perspective.

3. Part b- Visit each sibling once in the spring and once in the fall.  We see them at family gatherings in the summer and winter, so I wrote this goal to deal with that issue.  Unfortunately we did a really bad job at this. Next year we will focus a bit more on reaching this.

4.  Visit long distance friends over summer.  I went and visited one and the other one came here.  Investing time in relationships really pays off.

5.  Exercise more (breakdowns of minutes are in the post from last year).  I didn't necessarily make it every week to the minutes goal, but these goals really pushed me.  I am going to continue with minutes per week goals this year.

6.  Money goal- This got changed because we bought a house before October.  We were actually ahead of schedule for meeting our goal and the house ended up be cheaper than we expected, so I will call this goal met.

7.  Read through the Bible chronologically this year.  I have to admit that I actually finished this this morning, but I will still call it met.

8.  Tape goals to the fridge and revisit online once a month.  Well, I didn't necessarily get to this every month online, I still am happy with where I am at.


NEW GOALS FOR 2013:

1.  Keep memorized verses from 2012 and memorize at least 12 more verses.
2.  Read 3 books on relationships or Christianity (or both).
3.  Visit each set of grandparents once a month.
4.  Visit each sibling in the spring and fall.
5.  Exercise 60 minutes a week (this is a stretch, but I think I can do it).
6.  Meet our monthly savings goal.
7.  Write in a prayer/Bible reading journal 5 days a week.  The past few years I have been reading through the Bible in a year, but I feel that I need to really start meditating on the Word and writing my prayers.
8.  Invite people to our house at least once a month.  I have been realizing that my husband is a quiet extrovert.  I grew up with extreme introverts as parents and I am about half introvert and half extrovert.  Also, my job puts me around people all day long, so I am not always sensitive to my husband's need for people time.  Inviting people to our house will help fill this need and will also help us reach out to our community. Furthermore, I feel that God has blessed us with a house and he doesn't want us to keep it all to ourselves.
9.  Use a magnet (yippee- our fridge is now magnetic) to hang my goals each month.  Revisit once a month online.
10.  Plan something special for our 5 year anniversary.

One last thought... our worship pastor sang this new version of Auld Lang Syne and it really resonated with me.  I hope it blesses you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will not appear until the author has approved them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails